Meus Garmin Mortuus Est

Rolling through Fisherman's Wharf
It started out nice enough. Cool winds in the morning in SF lead into a beautiful day of cycling in Marin. Cruising up the Embarcadero. Hauling my bike up Fort Mason. Across the Presidio along Crissy Field. Over the Golden Gate Bridge.
Towards the GG Bridge
A brief climb up Conzelman which was aborted at the top because of the construction. Still we descended behind the Headlands. Twisted through Fort Baker. Dropped into Sausalito. Whipped down the Bike Path. Up and over Camino Alto into Corte Madero. Past San Quentin. Raced around the Tiburon Headlands, saw a few pre-shot deer and hit up Caffe Acri for brunch.
It was almost perfect.
There was this one guy without a helmet riding on the bridge towards the city screaming at us to “get out of the way, ass holes!” which was more funny than anything else.
After a nice leisurely brunch we headed out of Tiburon through Belvedere and then back then back the way we came. On the Embarcadero, less than a mile from the BART station, thing started to unravel for me.
Enjoying my sandwich at Caffe Acri, Tiburon
An amazing streak of good fortune came an abrupt end. I got a puncture. It’s the first flat I’ve had this year and the first on any Yellowjackets ride since 2008.
The change didn’t exactly go smoothly. First, the CO2 cartridge I was carrying was empty. I must have forgot to swap it out after my last flat in 2009. Chris lent me a cartridge which I proceeded to blow before I could get it on the stem.
Then it was time to manually pump tire. First with Chris’ little micro-pump and then, when it was taking too long, Dan busted out his super-foldo pump with foot stand and psi gauge and I was able to get it inflated to 120 with no problem at all.
Then came mounting the tire. This is where things got a little dicey. I was having some trouble getting the tire to sit correctly. I put it and the missed the chain. Then it got jammed in the wrong place and we had trouble getting it out. Chris helped and we finally got it mounted, but somehow in moving the bike the release for my Garmin (Edge 705) was depressed and it went flying off the bike and into the road where it was promptly (I think) run over by a bus.
The reason I say, I think, is because I’m not 100% sure. I didn’t see it directly. It all sort of happened in the my peripheral version. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something fly off the bike. I saw something land in the road. I saw a bus come by roll over it (not sure if the wheels actually ran over it).
When I realized it was my Garmin I rushed out in the street to get it and nearly got run over by a bus myself. What a stupid idiot. I had to raise to my hand to get the bus that was barreling down on me to stop.
I reached under the bus and grabbed my computer. It was all jacked up. The LCD screen was cracked and showing a shinny rainbow pattern. The case was cracked. It wouldn’t turn on at all. I was stunned. My Garmin was dead.
Then Fred rolled by and when he saw what happened said, Let it go Drew. I tried, but I just couldn’t believe it. What the fuck just happened?
I rode the BART home in shock. The thing cost several hundred dollars. It cost more than my first car (not really, but close). What a nightmare. On top of that, I’d lose all my ride stats from today, plus stats from a few other rides that I hadn’t yet uploaded to Garmin Connect. More annoying than anything.
A few days later I called Garmin Support to tell them what happened and they were totally cool about it. I guess this sort of thing happens frequently. Usually it starts with a crash and not a Vaudeville skit that my puncture devolved into, but they were going to send me a replacement for 120 bucks (shipping included). I couldn’t believe it.
My Garmin is dead. Long live my Garmin!
Miles roughly 51 mi
Ride Time about 3.4 hours
MPH more or less 15 mph
Max Speed around 44.1 mph
Elevation Gain perhaps 4,747 ft
Flats exactly 1
More stuff here:

Here’s the route map:

Leave a Reply